Accommodation Team Leader
The Guy Chester Centre (GCC) is an income-generating entity within the Methodist Church and is responsible for managing the North Bank Estate in Muswell Hill. The estate was bequeathed to the Methodist Church by Guy Chester in 1947.
Our main area of work is Chester House, a catered 158-bed hall of residence for young adults, which is predominantly home to university and performing arts students. Chester House provides affordable, supportive, and high-quality accommodation for young people and operates 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
We are looking for someone to lead our Accommodation Team and bring a dynamic, flexible and people-focused approach to the role.
About the role
The Accommodation Team Leader (ATL) is primarily concerned with ensuring that all residents have a great living experience during their stay at Chester House. The main elements to that are community, customer service and facilities. All three aspects are equally important and the ATL must provide leadership and exceptional customer service to maintain the living experience at the highest level possible in line with our mission, values, budgets and targets. Furthermore, the ATL supports and supervises the Accommodation Team and its work, and ensures the safety and security of the building.
The Guy Chester Centre (GCC) has a small team of committed staff providing pastoral care and professional administration as well as ensuring the facilities are kept in the best possible condition. The role is wide-ranging and provides the post holder with a wonderful opportunity to directly influence the culture of GCC as well as to be a part of the lives of an incredibly diverse group of people. Humility, humour, and a willingness to learn are all a must. GCC is committed to safeguarding. In accordance with our safeguarding policy, this appointment requires an enhanced DBS check.
- Ensure all residents and visitors to Chester House feel welcomed and are treated professionally, reflecting the value we place on hospitality and welcome
- Lead the team, including the unsocial hours team, and encourage and build a sense of community amongst all residents
- Oversee the bookings system ensuring that occupancy rates are maintained at the required level.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are followed by the team and all necessary operational systems are in place
- Take the initiative to suggest and implement changes and improvements to the residents’ living experience
- Implement the residents’ licence, residents’ disciplinary and other policies of the Centre in a way which is even handed and fair to all involved
- Coordinate the invoicing, communication / social media, marketing and events processes working alongside the line manager and others to establish quality standards for all aspects of the Centre’s accommodation provision
- Liaise with other team leads including the catering contractor to ensure that all services related to the accommodation meet the standards expected
- Be fully aware of and administer the Centre’s safeguarding, dignity & respect, fire, health and safety and maintenance policies & procedures
- Be able to respond to emergencies and issues ensuring the safety of staff, residents, visitors and the property
Essential Experience and Skills
- Experience of leading a team including people and tasks
- Understanding of business planning, budgeting & managing targets
- Experience in a customer-facing environment
- Ability to organise and prioritise a wide-ranging workload with timescales
- Ability to deal with emergency situations in a measured and appropriate manner
- Understanding of residents’ welfare issues and safeguarding
- Excellent pastoral and interpersonal skills; a friendly and caring personality
- Excellent understanding of social media and awareness of social trends
- Ability to be proactive and work with limited direct supervision
- Experience of conducting reviews in order to improve service
- Understanding of health & safety policies and procedures
- Willingness to engage in the development of the role
- IT skills (internet, MS office, use of database software)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Willingness to be flexible in work patterns (sometimes at short notice)
- Experience of working with young adults (16-30)
- Experience of working in student accommodation
- Experience of producing and maintaining data for the use of organising a work system
- Experience of organising and marketing events
To apply, please email email@example.com your CV together with a cover letter, which should not exceed two pages in length, detailing why you are interested in the role and how you meet the person specification, above.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £34,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 14/08/2023
Reference ID: ATL2023
Expected start date: 15/09/2023